Friday 13 February 2015

What Does Style Mean ?

Note: This post is being written as part of the Women’s Web – Trishla emart ‘A Style of My Own!’ campaign.

When the first lady of United States Michelle Obama, touched India in an alluring floral blue dress, little did I know that the dress was designed by an Indian designer - Bibhu Mohapatra. It was also a proud moment, when I discovered that he hails from Rourkela, a steel township in Orissa, which happens to be my place of birth. Michelle Obama, donning a dress designed by an Indian designer, just goes to prove that we Indians have come a long way when it comes to Style and Fashion.

Speaking of style and fashion, I feel Style is a reflection of our attitudes and personality. It's our identity. Possessing a personal style of our own sets us apart and it's the essence of our persona. It is something to be valued as it makes us the person we are. To me style is inborn. The style we are born with can never be taken away from us as it's nature's gift bestowed on us. Various fashion platforms offer varied styles in terms of dressing and couture from which we can take inspiration. We can follow our favourite fashion icons too. The internet is loaded with fashion information and several fashion bloggers are out there who are making a mark, sharing their own fashion tips that are distinct and useful.

Style changes at different stages. A person who is young would prefer to dress up in vibrant colours. The high levels of energy within the body is reflected in the dressing sense. People who are in their mid forties or more prefer to tone down the colours and adopt a more mature sense of dressing.

When it comes to my personal style, I adapt  two varied styles that are poles apart. On one hand I love the street Style fashion when it comes to casual dressing. The cool, laid back look in this fashion appeals a lot to me. And for occasions and formal events, sophistication and elegance is my style. I experiment and play with a lot of  colours and prints. Importance is given to comfort for any casual outings like a movie or spending a day in the mall. I team jeans with comfortable tops and trendy tunics.

Dresses form a dominant part of my wardrobe. I love feminine cuts, one piece, elegant dresses that flatter my size and shape. They can be casual and slinky too. A black dress is a must for me and they come in handy in occasions like weddings, dinners, or just a casual date. When I'm in doubt I always opt for the 'Black dress'. 'Sweater dresses' are a good option for winters as they can be worn with tights.

My Little Black dress

During occasions like weddings and important events I raise the fashion bar. I would generally turn up in a feminine cut elegant dress that offers sophistication. I would also opt for a heavily worked Salwar Kameez or a sexy Saree. Accessories form an important aspect of my dressing as they give life to an outfit. I try to mix and match whatever accessories I possess and team them with my attire.

Skirts are another favourite ensemble. The pencil skirt is most favoured. Having said that, I love formal short skirts, preferably knee length and wrap over skirts for their playful and colourful touch to the whole get up. Dressing to me is incomplete without a nice pair of shoes. I have a penchant for heels and I love most of the styles that are currently available but if I have to choose any one style, then my all time favourite would be the open Ankle strap high heel shoes. They pair well with dresses, skirts, salwar kameez, jeans and even a saree. Having said that, I also relish the look of the peep toe shoes as well.

 
In a tube skirt

 At the end of it all, when it comes to make up, I prefer to highlight my eyes.  During occasions an eye liner, mascara, Kajal with shimmering eye shadow to match the attire is a must. I end my final look with a pop of lipstick preferably shades of orange, red, pink, maroon or mauve.

India has been the best when it comes to ethnic wear and now it doesn't lag behind in western wear too. It's because our country is home to some of the most talented designers like Rohit Bahl, Tarun Tahiliani, Neeta Lulla, Manish Malhotra and so on. We also hold some of the most talented fashion bloggers, and fashionistas who share fantastic styling tips and fashion secrets with us that meet International standards. I'm sure there would be upcoming talented designers like Bibhu Mohapatra who would make us proud in the field of couture, fashion and Style.

Personal tip :  While choosing to wear an attire one must not let the clothes overshadow our personalities.The clothes are there to enhance our style. Never let it seek all the attention.  One needs to carry the attire and not the other way around. Keep it simple and keep it shining wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment